Sharing Best Practices
Midas enhances the quality and reach of financial capability programs and policies through mutual education, training, convening, and research.
A major inititative of Midas' is the MassSaves coalition. The MassSaves coalition is comprised of public and private stakeholders focused on improving the quality and delivery of financial education across the state at every stage of life. MassSaves members create and share financial education and resources, plan trainings and events, including the annual statewide summit on financial education, and advocate for initiatives and policies that financially empower families.
Below are recent convenings and trainings that highlight the expansiveness of our network, our leadership within the field, and depth of our impact.
- June 21, 2017 - CFPB Financial Empowerment Toolkit Training - Midas led a day-long targeted training in Worcester for DHCD housing counselors across the state, on how to use the CFPB’s Financial Empowerment Toolkit.
- June 13, 2017 - Midas Member Meeting - Midas convened member organizations from across the state to connect, learn, and collaborate. Members heard from the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office highlighted best practices and tips to purchase a car safely and avoid falling into the predatory car loan trap. The United Way Mass Bay and Merrimack Valley also shared information about their upcoming event, Project Homeless Connect, addressing family homelessness.
- April 28, 2017 - Building & Safeguarding Your Financial Future - Statewide Summit hosted by MassSaves, a program of Midas, focused on improving the quality and delivery of financial education at every stage of life.
- March 23, 2017 - Financial Planning & Asset Building - Midas led at a statewide training hosted by the United Way of Mass Bay & Merrimack Valley as part of the Financial Empowerment Learning Institute series, with support from Citizens Bank
- March 1 & 2, 2017 - Midas hosted four focus groups on Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) financial education tools. Financial educators from various backgrounds reviewed the auto lending tool and financial well-being scale, sharing their insight on improvements needed and how they could utilize the tools to serve their clients
- February 23, 2017 - Policy Round Table - Midas convened a discussion with nonprofits, higher education institutions, and faith leaders on policy priorities, various levels of engagement, and next steps to broadening our support and impact for low and moderate income families
- December 13, 2016 - Midas presented a training of trainers at Boston Private Bank on Best Practices in Designing & Delivering Financial Education Workshops. 40+ trainers, direct service providers, and others learned how to combine adult learning research, methodology, and curriculum in a learner-centered design. Sponsored by the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Citizens Bank
- October 18, 2016 - Integrating the "Your Money, Your Goals" Toolkit Into Your Work - Introductory training by Midas that provided essential information, practice, and tips on how to integrate the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau toolkit for the use of financial coaches, case workers, and other human service professionals in various roles to support integrating financial education into their one-on-one work with clients
- April 13, 2016 - “Financial Planning & Asset Building.” Midas presented at a statewide training hosted by the United Way of Mass Bay & Merrimack Valley as part of the Financial Empowerment Learning Institute series, with support from Citizens Bank
- March 18, 2016 - "Building Financial Foundations - A Financial Capability Summit for K-College Educators, Practitioners and Supporters." Statewide summit hosted by MassSaves, a program of Midas, focused on a broad multi-generational approach to understanding the context for financial capability and improving financial capabilities in diverse communities
- March 15, 2016 - “Providing Financial Capability Services to Special Populations & Targeted Resources to Help.” Midas presented at a statewide training hosted by the United Way of Mass Bay & Merrimack Valley as part of the Financial Empowerment Learning Institute series, with support from Citizens Bank
- March 3, 2016 - “Game of Life, Money Edition: Foundation of Personal Finance” – Midas led Part 2 of a MBHP training
- January 21, 2016 - New Partnership Meeting & Training for Planners - Midas convened a meeting and training with the Financial Planning Association of Mass. focused on providing access to quality financial planning services for Mass. families
- Nov. 17, 2015 - “Game of Life, Money Edition: Foundation of Personal Finance” – Part 1 for MBHP Fin. Econ. Stab. Program led by Midas
- Oct 15 & Oct. 28, 2015 Midas presented“Your Money, Your Goals: Using the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Financial Empowerment Toolkit with your Clients” – Training for social service providers and caseworkers on how to incorporate financial topics into their casework and various tools to support that. A statewide training hosted by the United Way of Mass Bay & Merrimack Valley as part of the Financial Empowerment Learning Institute series, with support from Citizens Bank
- June 10 & August 20, 2015 Midas presented “Game of Life: The Money Edition – Foundations of Personal Finance” – The basics of how to build & taking control of your financial life & importance of creating a household budget that works. Also highlights different examples of budgeting tools & apps. Presented in Boston to the general public and customers of Capital One Café 360, sponsored by Capital One
- May 21 & June 4, 2015 “Demystifying Credit: Understanding Credit Reports & Scores”– Midas led a training focused on the basics of understanding the importance of checking one’s credit reports; how to check, read & correct one’s credit reports; what one is entitled to; how credit scores are calculated & tips for improving one’s credit score. Presented in Boston, the general public and customers of Capital One Café 360, sponsored by Capital One
- May 5, 2015 Midas hosted “Paying for College & Managing Student Debt” – Being proactive about paying for college/community college & managing one’s student debt. Presented by American Student Assistance to Midas Members, Boston residents, and customers of Capital One Café 360. Sponsored by Capital One
- April 14, 2015 Midas presented “Refining Your Financial Coaching Approach Based on Client’s Sensory/Learning Styles & Working with Special Populations”- for financial educators and coaches. Developing your awareness & sensitivity about the primary learning style to improve techniques and tools for clients, including those who may be disabled, have legal concerns and/or CORI issues. A statewide training hosted by the United Way of Mass Bay & Merrimack Valley as part of the Financial Empowerment Learning Institute series, with support from Citizens Bank
- May 1, 2015 Midas coordinated the MassSaves Summit on Financial Education, at the University of Massachusetts campus in Springfield, Mass. Presented in partnership with other members of the MassSaves Coalition, and sponsored by Santander Bank, Monson Savings Bank, and United Way of Pioneer Valley. 130 financial educators from across the state came for day of best practice presentations, research outcomes on the Gateway Pilot Program, policy discussions, and a keynote speech by Treasurer Debra Goldberg
- April 14, 2015 Midas presented “Growing Your Capital: Credit and Asset Building Strategies” For financial educators, coaches, and direct service providers. The building blocks to help clients build their credit and credit building tools, as well as strategies for building and protecting your assets. A statewide training hosted by the United Way of Mass Bay & Merrimack Valley as part of the Financial Empowerment Learning Instituteseries, with support from Citizens Bank
- March 12, 2015 Midas co-hosted a roundtable discussion “Shaping the Future of Children’s Savings Accounts in Massachusetts” with the CFED, the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, and Eos Foundation. Stakeholders gathered to review program designs, local and statewide initiatives, and a policy agenda
- November 2014 Midas presented “Best Practices in Designing & Delivering Financial Education Workshops”– for financial educators and coaches. How to refine teaching methods and training design to be most effective when teaching and designing financial education workshops, based Midas’s paper on the model. A statewide training hosted by the United Way of Mass Bay & Merrimack Valley as part of the Financial Empowerment Learning Institute series, with support from Citizens Bank
- October 2014: Midas led a training to direct service providers in Boston; “Your Money, Your Goals: Working with Clients on Budgeting and Credit Issues – Introductory Course" in Boston. United Way of Mass Bay and Merrimack Valley and Citizens Bank sponsored
- February 2014: At Financial Capability Day at the Massachusetts State House, MFEC members shared their work, and Midas trained on the following topics: Managing School Loans, Financial Coaching Methods, Credit Issues, Buying a First Home, and Budgeting for a Crisis. Seventy legislators, staff members, and members of the public attended, as part of America Saves Week
- March 2014: Midas led a statewide training “When Is Bankruptcy the Best Move?” to direct service providers in Chelsea
- Archived Information on Convenings Prior to 2014